Friday, May 9, 2008

Recounting Blessings 5-09

Some singular experiences that have made my life so beautiful - I wrote these down in my journal this morning when I was recounting how blessed my day had been the day before, with so many good experiences and laugh-out-loud moments of joy.

(I have purposefully left out most of the names for various reasons, mostly just to be on the safe side)

-Playing Chess with my friend Dan, talking about everything under the sun
-Reading Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader to City of rest guys
-Helping with art class - drawing a dragon from The Dawn Treader, encouraging, giving ideas, my jaw dropping at some of the images or someone's creativity
-Saying "I love you" to Mama Gobe (the Pastor's wife at City of Rest) and eating her meals she offers me for free daily for working at the City
-Recounting game night, drinking Cream Soda with my friends while getting trounced in a game called Settler of Cattan and also chess
-Eating mango (nothing more be said)
-Inspiring others by playing music in the guitar, namely Sting and Shawn McDonald
-Teaching poetry and imagery, metaphor and simile to my friend, using ballads from Sting
-Forgiving someone who has hurt me then moving into friendship again - releasing wound-up feelings of grief and woundedness and separation
-Asking to be forgiven
-Watching Lighthouse girls give each other courage to stand-up and sing their musical creations
-Sharing a plate of fish and rice with Dan
-Sharing my day with my friend Katherine in a tightly packed poda-poda (the public transport buses) on the way home for the day
-Teaching someone guitar - over and over patiently bearing and correcting finger positions
-Watching a boy's eyes light up as I explain the story and imagery of the Chronicles of Narnia
-Clasping hands and greeting everyone at the City of Rest with a smile - even though there are those who don't acknowledge me
-Writing music with a woman and some other friends at the City
-Praying over a woman, with her hastily and unprofessionally attached IV bag, sleeping with high fever
-Seeing a man normally in complete psychosis smile back at me when I smile at him
-Playing my good friend in draft (a game very similar to checkers) ahnd watching him express himself in the only way that he can - through shadings and magnificent watercolors (I swear I'm going to set-up an art gallery in tribute to the man)
-Listening to Jazz
-Taking a cold shower after a long, hot day
-Kicking football around with a couple of boys from Lighthouse at the beach
-Watching the Zizer kids (the children of the family I live with) squeal in the break of a wave, threatening to knock them off their feet
-Laughing with hilarious abandon at my Lighthouse small group antics, especially with one of my friends (the loud Joseph for those who know him)
-Watching one of the goofier Lighthouse boys descend from his facade of seriousness into uncontrollable laughter snickering and then gut-wrenching laughter at the drop of a hat
-waking up to the sounds of birds and neighborhood life - not an alarm clock
-Coming home late to see the Zizer children passed out in any of the various positions they may have been in the midst of doing something
-Teaching a small boy at the City of Rest how to throw a paper airplane

...so many more blessings have been poured out on me while living and working here! god has made my life erupt with good things, if I can only live fully and lovingly for the rest of my weeks here... again, please pray for me

1 comment:

Dan Wilt said...

Now that's what I'm talkin' about. Cream Soda is the nectar of Elysium, and mango... enough said.