Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Dreamer

I am a dreamer. I spend a lot of my time dreaming, and one of the very first thing that comes into my mind when I enter a new place or start some new thing is dream about what I could become, dream about how things could be. But so often these dreams I have are so far from ever becoming realized. I read a passage from a prophet named Isaiah which attracted my eyes to it in its brilliant poeticism. It reads:

"as when a hungry dreams that he is eating,
but he awakens, and his hunger remains;
as when a thirsty man dreams that he is drinking,
but he awakens faint, with his thirst unquenched."

It seems that there are times when I grow so desperate about the dreams I sometimes have, so weary of waking up to find that the things I desire cannot be mine or will not be mine. And on another level entirely, the passage resounds with great truth about my quest for God, my desire to be holy. In my prayer and in the dreams that run their course in my mind, I find that many times it seems that the things which are good are so desperately out of my grasp. There is more to being holy then just aligning what God says is good and what you think is good, more to doing good than just wanting to do good. Dreams cannot be realized by simply dreaming them. I am a dreamer, but if I could only do half of what I dream...

It seems that pinning my dreams down to the ground is my ordeal at the moment. But even more dangerous is when I am in danger of losing the capacity to dream entirely. The danger of becoming a realist is the chance of becoming a skeptic, and God knows we don't need another one of those!

1 comment:

Chris said...

The danger of becoming a realist is the chance of becoming a skeptic,

This is so true. I believe that that is what has happened to me over the years. I'm just re-learning to look for the good and not focus on the negative.

Boy how I miss you guys! You used to keep me so grounded in the Word.